Thursday, April 26, 2012

Let's Ask - Question # 3


Today is week three of my new series Let's Ask which will be featured every Thursday on my blog. Lately, I've had so many unanswered questions about getting published and marketing children's books I thought why not just ask the experts one question per week and then share their knowledge of the business with us. *Experts = most likely a friend/acquaintance with experience writing children's books or publishing them.



My third Let's Ask question is for Sarah Perry (see below for her bio info):


Author Sarah Perry

My question for Sarah: If you had a choice to go the ebook route or the tradition printed route the rest of your writing career which would you choose and why? If you plan on visiting schools for your eBook, how would you implement that?

Sarah's response: I have to say, I'm a traditionalist and the allure of ink on paper is not lost on me. This is not to say that my ebook experience has not been phenomenal, because it has been, but I still get so many people asking me, "When is the print version coming out?" or, "I want an autographed copy!" that it would be so great to have that too. I guess, my true cheater answer is that in this day and age, people should have the option. Even if the main push is digital, to have POD (print on demand) copies available for those who prefer them. I think that might be ideal. Because, I have to add, it was so cool to hear that narrator interpreting my words. It was a double whammy of awesome to see those gorgeous illustrations and hear someone else reading my words. But it would also be great fun to turn those glossy pages too.

As far as school visits, I have gone to my daughter's school (informally, not as a full fledged author visit). Luckily, they have Smartboards so the teacher just loaded up my book and played it for the kids. Then she asked them some questions about the story and then they got to ask me a little about it. For schools with Smartboards, or even a computer lab, a digital presentation of the book works great. For lower income schools without the technology, an author with a digital picture book could, hopefully, bring a laptop and hook it up to a projector to share the book. Technology makes a lot of things possible and we're living in a very interesting time with diehards on both sides, print and digital. One day, this will be a laughable dilemma, I'm sure.



Written by Sarah Perry
 Sarah Perry discovered her love of writing stories in 2nd grade and has been at it ever since. Her first picture book, Pajama Girl, was the grand prize winner in the first MeeGenius Author Challenge. Further adventures of Pajama Girl are forthcoming in 2012. Sarah is also revising her YA manuscript, Dream Girl. When she's not writing, she's working part time as a librarian, being a wife and mother full time, reading, or playing around on her favorite social media sites. (and sometimes doing laundry).
Sarah's blog - http://writertherestless.blogspot.com/
Sarah's Facebook page-www.facebook.com/AuthorSarahPerry

20 comments:

  1. Thanks! Being another ebook author, this is so useful! I'm giving my first book talk at a library this summer and the laptop thing is just what to I'm doing. I was always a print only girl, that is, until I saw my book as an ebook. Sarah's right, it has its perks. We, as readers, are so lucky to have both print and digital experiences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Beth! Thanks for your input.

      Delete
    2. Congrats on your upcoming book talk! Have a lot of fun with it. Glad you found my answers useful. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. This was helpful. Thank you Sarah, I learned a great deal. I want to go the traditional route, but I know that it may be necessary to try ebooks to just to get out there. I know from another friend who self-published, then Apple picked up his book and it went viral, that he wasn't happy in the long run for the many reasons you mentioned. At least he had a printed book. But, it helped him find an agent. He prefers traditional, but will also continue with ebooks because of his success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to your friend Patricia. Thanks for your thoughts

      Delete
    2. Hi Patricia! Good luck with your writing journey. I think there are pros and cons whichever route you take. But, in the end, it sure is great to have that final product, whether it's in the format you originally envisioned or not.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Sarah for sharing your experience. It would be nice if a print version could be available. As you've noted, there are ways to work around the "not print" edition. While I enjoy reading a print book with my son, I know the technology is changing and we enjoy ebooks together too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Stacy and Sarah on both aspects as well. Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
    2. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the awesome information! I've had my thoughts between ebook and transitional too, so this is totally familiar territory with me. Nice to see another author with her opinion on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it helpful. Thanks for your visit Jack!

      Delete
    2. Glad to be of use, Jack! Good luck with your own publishing.

      Delete
  5. I get annoyed when a book is only available as an e-book. But with that being said I wouldn't hesitate to publish an e-book as many people like them. I always wondered how an author would present an e-book to a class so thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking one of these days I'm going to have to get an e-reader.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean Rena. I wish they all came in a variety of ways. Thanks for your input on this.

      Delete
    3. I agree! I spend a good deal of time in front of screens, for work, for writing, to keep up with friends, the last thing I want to do is curl up with an e-reader to read too. It's an interesting time to be in publishing. Who knows what will be next?

      Delete
  6. I am with Sarah. I like the idea of both--or having the option of both. I am still a traditionalist in a certain sense in that I love my children turning those pages with their own sticky little fingers. But e-books certainly have their time and place as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Natalie! I prefer traditional books for reading time with my kids but, of course, they love Pajama Girl. But it's also nice to have the Ipad loaded up with good books for trips. Less to haul around and it keeps the kids amused..for a little bit longer anyway.

      Delete
    2. I don't think I will ever give up wanting to read a traditional book to my kids. Also, it's fun to have those interactive ebooks available for kids. I'm very happy there are different ways for the ebook authors to share their books at school visits.

      Delete
  7. My experience with e-books has been very similar. Many have asked for print version. Many have asked when the book is going to be available for other devices. E-books create a few challenges, however without e-books I wouldn't have had an opportunity to express myself.

    As far as school visits go....I will jump out of my skin if a school invites me as an AUTHOR! Wow, that would be very cool!

    Thanks Jennifer and Sarah for another great Just Ask!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...