Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Interview with Author Patti Richards


Please give a warm welcome
for Author Patti Richards!





How long have you been writing picture books?

I’ve been writing picture books for 13 years now. It’s easy to remember because I wrote my first story when my daughter who is now 16 was three years old.

Was there something specific that inspired you to write SNOW ANGELS or was it just one of those moments of pure inspiration?

cover (4)

My first picture book was based on my daughter. The one who was three at the time. She inspired me to write about her upcoming birthday because it’s was the most important thing on her little mind at the time and she talked about it constantly. I was inspired to write my upcoming title from MeeGenius, call Snow Angels, from my memories of making snow angels with my sister. I always imagined what it would be like if the snow angels came to life when we weren’t looking.  



What are some of your favorite picture books?

Some of my favorite picture books are, Bear Has a Story to Tell by Philip C. Stead and Erin Stead, Sophie’s Squash by Pat Zietlow Miller , Blueberries for Sal and Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey Going to Sleep on a Farm by Wendy Cheyette Lewison  and The Sweet Smell of Christmas by  Patricia M. Scarry. You can read about a few of these titles and why I like them by visiting my blog at http://www.pgwrites.com/blog/



What was the pathway like for you to get your first book published?


I began my writing journey by doing freelance work for our local newspaper and some of our regional magazines. This was after I retired from teaching so I could be a stay-at-home mom. The local work I did eventually opened doors for more regional work and many of my articles on parenting and women’s health have appeared in national magazines as well. While writing for a living I began working on books of my own and joined SCBWI. I started attending conferences and submitting for critique sessions which eventually led to submitting manuscripts to publishing houses and literary agencies. I got many champagne rejections along the way and eventually signed with my first agent. During our two years together I completed work on my first middle grade novel and many more picture books. When our time together came to an end, I began submitting on my own again and was offered a contract for Snow Angles from MeeGenius late last year. 

Were you ever discouraged along the way? If so, how did you deal with it?

Discouragement is simply a part of this journey. I love writing for children. If I didn’t, I certainly would not do it. But I’ve been at it for so long, worked with so many editors and received so many rejections I’ve grown a pretty thick skin. I still love it when my muse is working overtime and I’m getting new ideas for new stories. Imaging children with my books in their hands bringing them joy is the only thing I need to keep me going.


Besides writing what other talents or hobbies do you have?



Well, I’m a musician. I play the piano, dabble a bit in guitar and I sing. My husband and kids are all very musical so we sing together as a family for our church and really enjoy it! I also love to draw, paint and crochet when I have the time.




Where can readers go to find your books and order them?



My book is due out from MeeGenius sometime in January of 2014. Stop by my blog for the official announcement, hopefully soon, for ordering information. http://www.pgwrites.com/blog/




Patti Richard's Bio:

Patti Richards is a freelance writer and editor, former teacher, wife and mother of three. Patti writes children’s books and has had her stories appear in Boys’ Quest Magazine, Bumples Magazine and MeeGenius EBooks for Children. Her articles on parenting, women's health and education have been published in a variety of magazines and on websites. Patti’s 25 years of experience in the publishing industry give her unique insight into a variety of subjects and genres. Patti's credits include Livestrong.com, Ehow.com, UPtv.com, Chron.com, Homelife Magazine, Metro Parent Magazine, San Diego Parent Magazine and many others. She and her family live in Farmington Hills, Michigan. Patti enjoys reading, painting and taking care of her family, which includes two dogs, a cat and a rabbit.
  
http://www.pgwrites.com/

Other writing samples on the web...



Thank you so much.
It’s a real honor to get your insights.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...