Friday, January 20, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Fridays - Old Red Shoe

Perfect Picture Book - What Can You do with an Old Red Shoe?


Author: Anna Alter

Publisher: Christy Ottaciano Books, Henry Holt and Company March 2009

Ages: 4 and up

Theme: Hands on Recycling Projects; craft/activity book, creative ways to be "green"

Opening and Synopsis:

The waves came in creeping,
stealing and sweeping-
they snatched Sarah's flip-flop,
and took it away!
The shoe went afloat,
like a pink plastic boat,
and some lazy old crab
had a ship for the day!

   This is a green activity book about reuse. This book is colorful, inventive and full of adorable animals being creative. Before each activity, a back story in rhyme describes what happened to the item to be recycled.      
   Also, Anna provides the ingredients and recipes for twelve recycling projects that kids can do with their parents while using random things they don't use; like flip flops, tins cans, and shower curtains.

Why I like this book: The instructions are easy to follow and not loaded with supplies to gather. For example on the old red shoe project, Anna lists 6 items; a shoe, a dust rag, measuring tape, a small flower pot, a starter plant, and potting soil. My kids and I also enjoyed the rhyming story in the beginning of each project. It was a nice touch to add for this very crafty green book.



Resources: 

Author's book website- http://oldredshoe.com/

At this website you will find plenty of information that teachers can use or parents can print out at home. There is teacher projects, project guides, a parent curriculum guide, and coloring pages. There is also information on landfills, recycling, sewing, and tip for doing the crafts. Teachers may find this book very useful especially on Earth Day which is coming up in April.

You can also find more information at her other two websites:
 http://annaalter.blogspot.com/ 
 http://www.annaalter.com/



Click here To go to Susanna Hill's blog and see the complete list of books with resources for Perfect Picture Books! 



21 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer,
    I'm going to try to do a better job of visiting the other PPBF entries this week. :)
    Your book choice is wonderful! I can't wait to get a copy...it will be a great resource for school and library programs.
    And I love your site...I'm going to subscribe so I don't miss anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, this sounds like one of the best kids books on recycling activities I have heard of. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks awesome! Rhyming AND a green theme? Sign me up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Vivian- Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you liked the review!

    @Joanna- You're welcome! Thanks for dropping by.

    @Julie- Thanks so much :)

    p.s. For some reason I can't reply under your comments. I'll have to look into what the issue is. Thanks again ladies for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed your review and how you used this book in such a fun way with your students. I love green books -- it's this generation we need to teach! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a wonderful book! Love the activities! And i am thrilled to get a book on recycling for the list - this is the first! - so thank you for a GREAT choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids would love this. Living in Portland they get to learn about his stuff anyway, but it looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Patricia- Glad you enjoyed it! Me too, I love the crafty recycling books :)

    @ Susanna- Oh yippie how neat that this is the first one. Thanks for stopping by and having PPBF set up on your blog for all of us to take part in.

    @Jenny- That's good to hear. Glas you think so!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want this! Rhyming and anything recycling has got to be a winner. So many teachable moments here. Great pick! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun book that teaches too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun, activities, a green theme -- sounds great! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good recycling books are hard to find. Thanks:)

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this sounds like a book I would like. We are all about being green at our house. It looks like a fun way to introduce children to the concept of reusing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone for your kind words about the review. @Barbara, I wasn't aware that there are not more recycling books out there, good to know! Glad you all stopped by :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like it has fun projects for kids and parents. I'm sharing this title with Hubby as part of his work involves community events with children and recycling awareness. It might be something he could use at work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a very cool book with todays message. Loved the rhyme, loved the activities and loved your review. Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review and the book sounds like it would be fun to read with all of the activities included!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jennifer, I just sent you an email from sugarlaw67@yahoo.com to the email address you left in the comment section of my contest blog post, but it was returned undeliverable. Can you please send me an email to the above address and give me yours so I can send this to you.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jennifer,
    Great review! I love green activity books for kids! Thank you so much for putting it on the list. It looks great and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jennifer,
    Great review! I love green activity books for kids! Thank you so much for putting it on the list. It looks great and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your article is very good and the quality, I Obat Bius really like all
    thanks for the share article

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...