Friday, March 23, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday - God Bless the Gargoyles


This review is part of Susanna Leonard Hill’s Perfect Picture Book series.
Visit her site to see the other books recommended.


Title: God Bless the Gargoyles

Author and illustrator:


Publication date: July 26, 1999

Publisher: Voyager Books; 1st Ed edition

Suitable for ages: 5 and up

Themes: Character and Values


Opening Sentences:

In a long-ago time, when long-ago peoples

were building cathedrals and raising up steeples,

they crafted stone creatures and set them on perches

to guard and protect and watch over churches.


A sneak peak inside God Bless the Gargoyles




Why I like this book:

      I like the way Dav Pilkey tells the story of the Gargoyles. He explains why they were made as protectors and how they were misjudged. When he introduces the angels as rescuers it becomes uplifting to read. Also, my kids and I enjoyed the rhyming and richly painted illustrations.


Synopsis:

Taken directly from David Pilkey’s website-

“In a story that will appeal to anyone who has ever felt lonely or neglected, the gargoyles--the grotesque stone guardians of Gothic architecture--feel misunderstood by the world, until gentle angels come to console them. A moving, rhyming tale about gargoyles and the angels who bring solace to them and to all creatures who are rejected and unloved.”


I found a review from a customer (anonymous) on Amazon.com I thought I should share-

      "I have read this book regularly to groups of emotionally and behaviorally disturbed children for two years. These are children hardened by lifetimes of physical and sexual abuse and chaotic environments. This is the only one of the many stories I read for them that truly touches more than a few of them. Most applaud. A few cry. Some have been able to use the story to build an understanding of their own feelings of abandonment and need for belonging…”

Resources

If you wish to read the entire story it is at this website:

Go directly to Pilkey’s website for fun facts, puzzles and quizzes on God Bless the Gargoyles http://www.pilkey.com/bookview.php?id=12

Make your own gargoyles and stained glass churches like the one below.


Supplies Needed

Black construction paper
White paper
Tissue Paper
Glue
Scissors


 





 Thanks for your visit today! 

22 comments:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful book, Jen - thanks so much for sharing. It's far from Dav Pilkey's usual MO, so I'm very interested to read it. I think that amazon review is amazing - pretty strong recommendation for a book! thanks for this great addition to our list! (And hopefully your link is up now - sorry for the delay - crazy day over here!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it's not like the other very popular titles he's written/illustrated. YOu won't be disappointed with one though. Thanks for stopping by Susanna

      Delete
  2. This book sounds so interesting and different. I love the "make your gargoyle" activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Never realized that a story about gargoyles could take on such a profound meaning to abused children. But, it makes sense. Great review and pictures. Will have to look this one up. Thanks Jennifer. And congratulations on becoming a new author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither Patricia. I wasn't surprise though after reading this book. It's a keeper for sure. Thanks for the kind words! I'm so excited about the publication today. Still on cloud nine :)

      Delete
  4. It has been many years since I have read this book. I am so glad you featured it. I am a big fan of Dav Pilkey. I think many people think of him only as the author of Captain Underpants. However, he has so many other great picture books.

    Congrats again on MeeGenius! It is sooo awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric, I thought YOU had suggested it in the 12 x12 last week (I guess someone else did) so anyway I picked it up from the library. It actually was on display there AND the librarian was all gushy gushy over it saying it was new favorite book. Anyway, thanks for stopping by and thanks for the congrats on my book. So excited!!!

      Delete
  5. What an intriguingly thoughtful book! Wonderful that it means so much to abused kids.

    Thank you so much for bringing it to our attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Beth! I can see how it helps those kids in need after reading the whole book. Thanks for stopping by today.

      Delete
  6. What an interesting book. I love books in which I learn something, and I had no idea about the history of gargoyles. Thanks for the recommendation, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good kirsten, so glad you learned something new! Thanks for your visit :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Jen, what a lovely review of this book - it does seem like the paintings are breath taking. And I loved the pictures of the gargoyles too - I am deeply fascinated by them as well. Great recommended activities too. Many thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra and you're welcome, so glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  8. What a cool book! The illustrations look awesome :) A very different type of book than the Captain Underpants books I've read by Mr. Pilkey! I really never thought about the history behind gargoyles! This is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erik! I'm glad you found the review interesting. It's definitely different than some of his other stuff.
      Thanks for your visit :)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a really great book. I haven't read this one. I will have to put it on my checkout list. Thanks for sharing. Congrats again -Let's put our hands together for the new published author
    JENNIFER YOUNG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Cheryl. :-) This one is flows right off you tongue. I love the story and the way it rhymes.

      Thank you so much!!! I love this writing community, everyone is so supportive here. I'm still on cloud nine with the news. Happy dancing over here.

      Delete
  10. How wonderful, this has to be my favorite this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh is it, that's fantastic! I still need to visit everyones. Busy weekend here. Thanks so much for stopping by Catherine :)

      Delete
  11. Jennifer...5 gold stars to you for this book selection!!!
    Any book that helps kids, who have had life's worst dumped on them, is a winner in my book. :)
    Your resources are great also...thank you so much! This is one I want for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for my stars Vivian!!! I'm glad you found the resourse helpful. :)

      Delete

Love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...