Friday, April 20, 2012

Perfect Picture Book and A to Z Poetry (L - Q)

It's Perfect Picture Book Friday and the third week of the A to Z Poetry Challenge hosted by Rena Traxel.


This review is part of Susanna Leonard Hill’s Perfect Picture Book series. Visit her site to see the other books recommended. 



Title: Aliens Love Underpants
Author: Claire Freedman
Illustrator: Ben Cort
Publication date: September 1, 2007
Publisher: Barron's Educational Series
Suitable for ages: 3 +
Themes: Silly

Opening Sentences:
Aliens love underpants,
Of every shape and size.
But there is no underpants in space,
So here's a big surprise...


A sneak peak inside Aliens Love Underpants


Why I like this book: It's my favorite type of children's picture book; quirky, funny, rhyming and very silly.

The synopsis is taken from the inside flap (back cover)

When aliens fly down to Earth,
They don't come to meet YOU...
They simply want your underpants--
I'll bet you never knew!
This zany, hilarious story is simply out-of-this-world--
you'll laugh your pants off!

Resources:

Want coloring pages, online games and more info on Aliens Love Underpants? Then visit this link ---> http://www.aliensloveunderpants.com/

Check here for many alien themed printables --> http://www.printactivities.com/Theme-Printables/Alien-Printables.html



_______________________________________________________

A to Z Poetry Challenge (L - Q)


This is my third week of the A to Z Poetry Challenge hosted by Rena Traxel. The whole month of April I will practice writing poetry. Click here for all the challenge details

* * *

Day 12 - Friday April 13th 2012

L is for Limerick
By Niki Leonidou
Challenge
--Create a limerick about love. Or
--Use the illustration above to write a limerick.

The Goofy Heart

I tried to show her my goofy heart.
My life on stage was a work of art.
Jokes I gave full of love.
Painted face not proud of.
Clowns weren’t her thing so we had to part.

--By Jennifer Young

***************************************************

Day 13 - Saturday April 14th 2012

M is for Mother Goose



Challenge
--Create your own nursery rhyme. Or
--Write a fractured nursery rhyme. Children’s poet Kenn Nesbitt, over at Poetry 4 Kids has a neat exercise on how to write a fractured nursery rhyme. Instead of me re-wording his lesson. Click here to find out more.

It's Lonestar Lonestar
The fox and the guitar
The pig flew into a car
The rat snickered
At all the fuss
And the queen took a trip with the czar.

--By Jennifer Young

**************************************************

Day 14 - April 16th 2012

N is for Nature

Rena J. Traxel
Challenge
--Go into nature and write a poem.
--Look out your window and write a poem about the nature you see around you (even if you live in the city).
--Using the picture above as a prompt write a poem.
--Write a poem that uses nature as metaphor for the social injustices that you have observed.

Pinecones Have Seeds

It's surface jagged
Touch it, it pricks
It loosens it's hold
As it hangs from it's stick
It sways and it grows
It dries and it falls
Crunch goes it's shell
The seedlings and all
Into the ground
It spreads in the Earth
Pinecones have seeds
For a pine tree's rebirth

--By Jennifer Young

**************************************************

Day 15 - April 17th 2012

O is for onomatopoeia 

By Kari-Lynn Winters
 Illustrated by Christina Leist.

Challenge
--There are all sorts of fun characters in Kari-Lynn's book like the horse. You can see some of those characters in the picture above. Today I encourage you to go for walk and write a poem about the things you see and hear around you.


Let's Go Vincent

Go batter-batter,
Clobber that ball!

Go batter-batter,
Once and for all!

SWOOSH...CRACK! GO! GO! GO!
Better round second!
Whistle, woo-hoo, whoa!

--By Jennifer Young

***********************************************

Day 16 - April 18th 2012

P is for prose 

Challenge
--Today I want you to play with form (think about lines breaks and punctuation). Try writing a prose poem using a photo that inspires you. Or
--Use my photo of Raggedy and write a poem.

My Way
      I'm on my way, down a road. Exactly where I want to go. It's over the hill. It's through the woods. I skip, I run, but mainly I walk. Maybe it's to nowhere. Though, I sure do have fun. It clears my head. It sparks some thoughts- Will I find the way? Will I end up happy? I walk and I wish. My feet move fast, slow. I'm on my way down a road.  Towards...the unknown.

--By Jennifer Young

********************************************************
Day 17 - April 19th 2012

Q is for Query

Challenge
--Pick some of the poems you have written and think about submitting them for publication or come up with a title for your poetry collection. If you decide to share the title keep in mind that titles aren't copyright protect so you might want to keep the title to yourself.
--As for today's poem. I want you to write a poem using your preferred style.


The Fly Eating Contest

Stanley was eating his flies.
He ate in a hurry to be first.
His belly had swelled like a melon.
At the end of the race he had burst.

--By Jennifer Young



27 comments:

  1. Jennifer they are wonderful, you are such a good poet. And my son will adore that book, how fun! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you Catherine you just made my day. Lately, I've been feeling like I was way out of my league being in this challenge with you guys. *big smile*

      Delete
  2. Great poems Jennifer, and a great PPBF choice too. We love Aliens Love Underpants in this house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! When I picked it up from the library my son was so excited about it. His teacher has it in their classroom.

      Delete
  3. Love all your poems, Jen! And a great PPBD selection too - looks like pure unadulterated fun! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susanna, I really appreciate it. Yes, this is a funny read for adults too!!! (me anyway)

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic choice. This book is on my to buy list. (We love silly) And the resources are a lot of fun too.

    Your poems are bodacious. You are quite talented. *waving*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robyn! You're so sweet! *waving*

      Delete
  5. Jennifer--You are truly improving week by week. I think Pinecones Have Seeds may be my favorite so far. Very nice job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, that means a lot to me. I like that one too!!!

      Delete
  6. Good stuff Jen. I really like your prose poem. It has a nice flow to it. Your "Let's Go Vincent" is so much fun (I re-read it a few times). I can't wait to see what you come up with for week 4!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Rena! You've definitely made this challenge a great learning experience for me and fun to top it off.

      Delete
  7. You had me at "aliens" Jennifer...oh, and "underpants" too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your PPBF choice had me on the title - really hilarious! I also enjoyed reading your poems, Jennifer. They're all beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fats! Glad you enjoyed both :)

      Delete
  9. What a fun book, it sounds hilarious! Great job on the poems!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a delightful catch-up post. I like having all your poems together here. The make a nice collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! I appreciate you reading them all :)

      Delete
  11. The book is on my list for sure.
    Your poems were so great, Jennifer! If I HAD to pick a favorite, it would be Let's Go Vincent...but, with that said, I just think they're all WONDERFUL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Penny!! :)

      Delete
  12. I would totally pick up that book on the illustrations alone.

    And such great poetry! I loved them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I picked it Peggy. Thanks for the compliments :)

      Delete
  13. Jennifer, I love quirky picture books, too. I have also been enjoying your participation in Rena's Poetry contest. I'm I to understand you're new at writing poetry. I just began with this challenge and thought I was the only newbie. That's why my participation has been limited. Anyhoo, you are a crafter (is that a word?) of words! I love you humor and insight. Wow, I never would've guessed you were a newb too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I didn't know you were knew either. I love your poems, they are so fun to read and are very creative. Thanks so much for your kind words.

      Delete

Love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...